Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

7.2.06

The force is strong with this one.


I was a chaperone at kids Halloween party this past October when I came across a little succulent plant in a planter the park across the street from the party. This leaf was barely hanging on and I helped it off the stem and put it in my pocket. When I got home that evening I put the leaf on a paper plate I was using to dry some seeds.

I completely forgot about the leaf until I was moving some things around on Christmas Eve and uncovered the plate with the drying seeds and this leaf. I had seen succulent cuttings take root by themselves before, but it had only been in pictures. I was a little shocked that the leaf had not shriveled up, but I was more surprised by the fact that it had begun to root and sprout new leaves.

Once I'd noticed how badly the leaf wanted to continue to grow I planted it in some soil. This summer I'll take it outside and plant it in the yard and let it do it's thing.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Hello,
    I find your blog very informative. Perhaps you might be able to help me with a similar situation where the plant desperately wants to live.
    I had a very small sapling of syngonium, nepthytis or arrowhead plant rooting in water. A few weeks ago, all the leaves got plucked accidentally, leaving only the stem. I still kept the plant in water with the roots. Now I notice a very, very small sprout at the very base of the stem near the root. The upper portion of the stem has all but dried. I'm wondering whether I should pot the plant in soil now, or should I wait till the sprout becomes a little more substantial? Will it survive if I re-pot it now? I don't want the plant to die just because I didn't do the right thing. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.