Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

15.3.07

Cheap Containers For Your First Garden

Now that the weather is getting nicer here in Chicago I'm taking on the task of preparing the garden for this growing season. The task I assigned myself for this week is cleaning my pots in which I will be planting my tender bulbs. While cleaning my pots I started thinking of the various stores where I bought containers last year and how much money I saved buying containers for my garden in places other than garden centers.

 


The container you see pictured above I bought last year in a warehouse club, that you're probably familiar with, and paid $9.99. The only downside was the pots came in one size and only two colors. I chose this color because it suited my style better than the creme colored one they had for sale.

I also purchased a similar sized pot in a dollar store which only cost me $5.00 and suited my needs just fine. At that particular dollar store there were various sized pots and the prices ranged from $1.99 to $5.00. Other places I haunted in the search for cheap pots for gardening were; thrift stores, junk shops and the local section of websites like Freecycle and Craigslist, where you can find cheap pots and even people giving away pots they no longer want.

Your garden can't tell the difference between frugal finds and name brand pots from large garden centers or trendy gardening boutiques. If you think of yourself as a crafty person and have access to a hand-held drill you can turn thinks like teapots, decorative tins, and ceramic bowls into a container where you can grow a few plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.