Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

12.6.07

Heuchera X 'Crown Jewel'

I bought this Heuchera X 'Crown Jewel' last year for the garden. I was attracted to it's veined gray marbled leaves with maroon undersides. The plant tag recommended planting it in partial shade but I planted it in full sun where the colors seemed to darken.

Heuchera X 'Crown Jewel'


On windy days the colors put on a display similar to that of a Can-Can Dancer. One moment you'd be looking at green leaves and the wind would pick up and the leaves would flutter and display their maroon underside. This spring I moved it to an area of the garden that is partial shade and the green in the leaves has pretty much vanished . I think I prefer this gray tint to the leaves because it looks like it is permanently covered in frost.

I didn't even bother photographing the flowers because they were white and pretty insignificant. My favorite thing about this perennial is the heart-shaped, lobed leaves. It is suppose to reach a height of 36" and attract Hummingbirds and Butterflies, though I have yet to see any signs of Butterflies in the garden visiting any of the Heucheras.

5 comments:

  1. I love that plant. It looks so neat with the grey and maroon on bottom. What do you have it planted around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Curtis,

    I have it planted in between a couple of H. 'Purple Palace" plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Great plant and photo. Interesting that you planted it in full-sun and it's doing so well. Equally interesting it that the leaves have darkened because of it.

    Cheers for the post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:33 PM

    I love the color of the Heuchera in your photo too.
    I just planted three different varieties in my shade garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuart and chigiy

    Thanks for stopping by glad you both like the plant. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.